Monday, April 16, 2012

Crochet - A Brief Encounter

Most of the time my desire to learn a new craft comes from pure boredom. I get bored so I start Google-ing for new projects or browsing through Pinterest to see what sparks a creative light. Last year, I taught myself how to crochet. You can pretty much figure anything out with some YouTube videos! I started off just using free patterns I found online at different yarn websites. I found this adorable Easter basket pattern on the Lion Brand website.


I’m honestly not sure how I came across the Oodles4Noodles blog, but I did and I volunteered to test out a couple of patterns for her. This helped me learn how to do some things that I might not have otherwise tried & I got the patterns for free for testing them out J This sweet hat came from my testing adventures with her. You may purchase the pattern thru her etsy story if you would like to.



Up until I found the RAKJ patterns page on Facebook, I vowed that I would not pay for a pattern. Of course, her ridiculously cute patterns swayed me into purchasing a couple that I simply could not resist. This giraffe is to absolute die for! I just love it! You may purchase the pattern here or here.



I tried to adapt the giraffe pattern and turn it into a Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer hat… I think I just need to stick to following a pattern. Cute, but not GREAT – LOL! I should have purchased this pattern :)



When I was dabbling in crochet, I just wanted to get good enough to make a sweater. I just thought that would be a master achievement if I could make my own sweater. So I tried this one. It is so far from perfect it isn’t even funny, but I did it. I accomplished my crochet goal! I even wore it a couple of times when it got really cold.

I made several scarves, shawls & hats for Christmas gifts for the family too. Some turned out cuter than others. If I do another homemade Christmas again, I must start much earlier in the year than I did last year. That’s another story for another day though J  

No comments:

Post a Comment