Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Damask & Stenciled Bridal Cakes

I was so scared when I ordered my first set of cake stencils. In fact, it took me about 3 months before I got up enough nerve to use them. The first attempt wasn’t all that pretty. (I’m not even sure I took a picture of it – I couldn’t find it when I was looking. If I come across one, I will add it here) I simply had to get better though! I had a bride that knew exactly what she wanted & I just HAD to make it happen for her special day!


Another friend was throwing a bridal shower for a friend of hers & asked me to do the cake. She wanted me to try the stenciling out again because she just knew I could do it! So I tried it. This time I tried a different stencil. This one turned out better, but I learned that I need my hubby home to help me hold the stencils when dealing with a round cake. I know it isn’t perfect, but I absolutely loved the sweetness of this little cake.



So after having a successful attempt, I felt so much better about doing the wedding cake. I stenciled on alternating tiers of this 4 tier square beauty. I used black royal icing for the stenciling and satin ribbon on the non-stenciled tiers. The super talented bride and groom made the gorgeous cake stand along with the cake topper. I loved the set up of this cake table! So elegant! A pretty table setting does wonders for an already pretty cake – even helps out ugly cakes too!


After doing these cakes, I started getting asked for more stenciled cakes. The next opportunity I had to use it was for one of my very best friends! She was throwing a wedding shower for a super sweet girl and she wanted a cake with some WOW factor. This is what I came up with. I used the “princess damask” stencil again around the bottom tier, tiny black piped dots on the top 2 tiers, gumpaste flowers (first attempt at anemones – without the stamens), and black satin ribbon around the base of each tier. I have to say, I’m not a pink person, but I absolutely loved this color combination on this cake. I thought it turned out so delicate and striking all at the same time.


Last month, I was honored to make a wedding cake that just screamed SPRING for an awfully sweet girl! This was based on Abbie's GORGEOUS Navy Damask Wedding Cake. Similarly, I mixed square, hexagon, and round tiers. This time I used coral buttercream icing to stencil on top of a buttercream cake. I piped the monogram to look similar to the stencil on the second from the top tier & added various piped details on the sides. We used thin yellow satin ribbon at the base of each tier and sprinkled rose petals to give this one the “pop” that it needed. Isn’t it amazing how just changing the colors can make such an awesome difference?



1 comment:

  1. can i ask where you got your stencils from? Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete