Thursday, April 5, 2012

Patchwork Bunny Pouch

Last month I participated in the first monthly challenge on Applique Forum. I really enjoy being a member of this forum - I've learned so much from all the ladies & it's a super fun & friendly atmosphere! I thought the challenge would help me learn even more. Even though all participants used the same design, there were separate categories for hobbyists, professionals, & mentor/administrators of the forum. I entered as a hobbyist & our task was to make something out of the box & to focus on mixing fabric patterns. 

When I started thinking about what I was going to do with this challenge, I knew I wanted something patchwork. I’m not sure why, but I’m obsessed with patchwork designs right now & at the beginning of the challenge, I hadn’t had any successful attempts. I had it in mind that I would make an apron. It didn’t take me too long to find the fabric I wanted to use. I searched online and then by luck, the little quilt store near my real job had a charm pack in stock. I used Ooh La La by Bunny Hill Designs for Moda. I didn’t realize it was a “baby” design, I’m not sure why the pink & blue didn’t clue me in – LOL.

After I got the fabric, I was so eager to start on the project but of course life got in the way – sigh. On my way home from delivering cakes the day I’d scheduled to work on the challenge, I was exploring thru Pinterest (my hubby was driving) and found the cutest tutorial for a patchwork bag.
http://pinterest.com/pin/220746819205363638/ I thought that might be a better option than the apron I was going to attempt without a pattern (especially considering I’ve only sewn a couple of things & they both went horribly wrong).

So that’s what I did. I just followed the instructions for making the patchwork panels for the bag, and then did the appliqué on top. I chose to use the blues for the bag, an ivory with a gray scene for the scallop piece, and then used the different pinks for the rabbit. Oh, I added a piece of lace on top of the ivory/gray scene to give it a little something extra! I was a little unhappy with the puckering of fabric in the bunny, but it kind of reminded me of a quilt from my hubby’s grandmother so I thought it added a little character & I went with it. Once I’d completed the appliqué, I just finished following the instructions on the tutorial. I used ribbon instead of cording – mainly cause it was 1 a.m. and that’s what I had :rofl:



I had so much fun with this challenge and can’t wait for the next one. I am using and abusing them to learn how to do new things since I’m a newbie to most of this :wub: I was shocked that I received enough votes to get 2nd place in the Hobby category :dance:  I know there were only 40-something entries but still! It was finally a contest that wasn't a popularity contest since it remained fairly anonymous the entire time! So much fun! I can't wait to see what they challenge us with next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment